Pandan Chiffon Cake

Lately I have been reading a lot of blogs about making pandan chiffon cake. Almost all of them bake them using home-made pandan essence.
I googled and saw Wendy's blog on how to make pandan essence in step by step. I went to the provision shop immediately and bought 3 packet of pandan leaves. As I do not have a food processor at home, I depended on the Braun handheld blender to blend the pandan leaves. Haha.. wrong move! My wall tiles and floor tiles were covered with splatters of pandan juices..haha. I have a helluva time cleaning up after that.



I made the above pandan essence 2 days in advance so that the extract may settle down nicely. Look at how thick and nice the color of the pandan juice are.

Pandan Extract
30 leaves of pandan / screwpine leaves
1/2 cup of water

How?
- Wash and cut the pandan leaves into small pieces
- Add 1/2 cup of water.
- Using a food processor, blend the pandan leaves till fine.
- Using a food strainer or muslin cloth, squeeze out the pandan juice till dry.
- I place them in a clear glass and covered with clingwrap and place them in the fridge to settle.
- The dark green section at the bottom of the glass is the essence. To get that, pour away the top part (I kept the middle section of the juice for my pandan cake).
- The above will yield 2 tbsp of pandan essence.

Pandan Chiffon Cake
(recipe adapted from Kevin Chai basic chiffon recipe)

Cake batter

4 egg yolk (egg without shell should weigh approximately 60g each)
45g castor sugar (I reduce to 40g)
70ml coconut milk
70ml oil
45ml pandan juice (including 2 tbsp pandan essence)
150g cake flour/plain flour
1tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt

Meringue

4 egg white
80g castor sugar (I reduce to 70g)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar

How?
- Preheat oven to 175 degree.
- Prepare a 20-cm tube pan
- Whisk egg yolk and sugar until it dissolves.
- Add in coconut milk, oil, pandan juice and pandan essence.
- Mix well
- Sift in flour and baking powder. Add salt
- Whisk the cake batter until well mixed.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg white until it is frothy (about 30s)
- Add cream of tartar and 1/3 of castor sugar. Continue to beat until soft peak.
- Add in remaining sugar gradually and beat until just before stiff peak.
- Taking 1/3 of the meringue, add into the cake batter and mix well.
- Pour the cake batter into the remaining egg white and fold gently (I fold for about 20 times until no more streak of egg whites can be seen).
- Pour the mixture into the tube pan. Knock the pan several times on your kitchen counter.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes.

Look at the natural hue of green on my finished cake. Taste awesome..as I am typing this I am contemplating should I bake one next week. :)


No comments: