I have been wanting to try this cupcakes long time ago but did not get about doing it - procrastinating as usual!
It was when alot of Hokkaido Chiffon cupcakes were baked by members of Munch Ministry that I got my arse moving.. bought the square cupcake liners from Phoon Huat and there is no return.
I am surprised by how simple this recipe is and it only took me less than 30 minutes to get everything done and place them in the oven to bake. Without the cream, this cupcake taste too egg-y to my liking but after piping in the cream it was kinda refreshing.
Hokkaido Chiffon Cupcakes
(source: Nasi Lemak Lover)
3 eggs, separate yolk with white
30g corn oil
70g cake flour
60g whipping cream
1tsp custard powder (I omit this but replace with 1/2 tsp of vanilla essence)
- Pre-heat oven to 170 degree
- Prepare 9 - 10 cupcake liners on baking sheets
- Hand whisk egg yolk with sugar till pale in color
- Add in corn oil and milk. Mix well.
- Sift in cake flour. Stir till combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg white till foamy. This will take about 1 minute
- Add in 25g of sugar gradually. Beat till soft peak forms. I estimated that this will take 2 minutes after pouring in all the sugar.
- Using a spatula, take 1/3 of the egg white mixture and mix into the egg yolk batter. Combine well.
- FOLD in the remaining egg white gently, becareful not to deflate them.
- Scoop batter into cupcake liners till 3/4 full.
- Bake in oven for 20 - 25 minutes. I checked my cupcakes at the 23rd minute mark.
- Beat whipping cream with sugar till firm and stiff (I place my beater in the freezer prior to beating the cream)
- Add in vanilla essence and mix well.
Pipe cream into cupcakes (after they have cooled). Dust with icing sugar and I place heart-shaped sprinkler :)