Topo or topography is related to Geography - a subject I hated most in school. Haha.. Saw this cake a few times when I was surfing and it really interest me how a simple butter cake can be made into such nice formation.
I checked out Wendy's blog and some recipe found on Munch Ministry. Being the kiasu me, I of course went with an experienced food blogger's recipe..keke
Frankly this cake is fairly easy to do and it taste really good and moist.
Topo Map Cake
(source: Table for 2..or more)
250g sugar *
5 eggs (the eggs I used weigh about 57g each)
300g cake flour
1tsp baking powder
125ml evaporated milk
1tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp pandan extract
Some cocoa powder for the topo lines
- Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy
- Add in eggs, one at a time. Beat well after each additon
- Sift half of flour and baking powder. Beat on low speed until combined
- Pour in evaporated milk and beat on low speed until combined
- Add in remaining flour and beat on low speed until combined.
- The batter is now ready. Pour half of the batter into a separate bowl and mix in pandan extract in one part and another with vanilla extract.
- Spread 1/2 of the pandan batter into lined and greased pan. Level it.
- Carefully, sift a layer of cocoa powder on the batter.
- Gently, scoop a dollop of alternate batter (if pandan was used as base, put vanilla batter next or vice versa). Level the batter, becareful not to scrape off the cocoa powder.
- Repeat with a layer of sifted cocoa powder and pandan batter.
- Repeat layering until all batter has been used it.
- Bake for 45 minutes or when toothpick comes out clean. Oven temperature is 180C.