Homemade Mushroom Soup

I decided to try my hands on mushroom soup last night, together with shrimp aglio olio. Actually, it is because I don't have any ideas on what to cook anymore. Having a helper don't' eat pork really limits the menu by 60%! Can't be having chicken everyday mah.


Cost of mushrooms is so low, can't believe I am paying S$9 per regular serving at The Soup Spoon. It is not difficult to make too.
Saute the garlic and onion, add in mushrooms and let it simmer until it is cooked. Blend it, add in the cream and voila.. Kieran loves mushrooms as much as me so he really loves the soup. Zach on the other hand feel yucky and giving me the I-want-to-throw-up look at each spoonful. Haha..

You will need a pack of mixed mushrooms, thyme (preferred to be fresh), thickened cream, garlic, onions, vegetable stock, flour, salt & butter.


Melt about 25g of butter and saute garlic and onion until both are caramelised. This will take about 4-5 minutes.


Add in the flour and the butter mixture will thicken slightly.


Pour in half of the vegetable stock and all the mushrooms and thyme. It will look a massive amount of mushrooms but don't worry. After 15 minutes, the mushrooms will shrink.


Simmer it for 15 minutes and using a handheld blender, puree the mushrooms. Bring it to boil again, stir in salt and thickened cream.


Serve the soup with croutons. Making this soup is relatively easy, all it takes is 30 minutes. I shall try making other soups next, broccoli, corn and cauliflower.

No comments: