Chocolate Durian Swissroll

Durian season is back! I am always the happiest when it is in season. I love love love durians..words cannot explain how I love the smell of this fruit lingering around the house. Haha..
Dad used to buy like half a dozen of durians for all of us to eat and we will skipped dinner just to have this fruit.
Durian prices in Singapore is very high.. Mao Shan Wang can go up to S$22/kg! Crazy..if that happens, I will buy D24, which imo is just as good and more filling too. Heh..
I bought extra durian and decided to make something out of it.. Always wanted to try swissroll and a friend recommended me this blog, Fatmum Baking, giving me a thumbs up for her chocolate swissroll recipe. Why not? Durian with chocolate. Ok..the combi sounds weird but hey my colleagues said it was really good.


Chocolate Durian Swissroll (swissroll adapted from Fatmum Baking)
(A)
- 20g cocoa powder
- 40g warm water
(B)
- 3 egg yolks
- 50g sugar
- 50g corn oil/canola oil
- 30g chocolate milk
- 75g cake flour
(C)
- 3 egg whites
- 65g sugar

Durian puree
- Durian flesh from the whole fruit

How?
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper. I don't recall what is the size of my pan but it should be about 16" x 16".
- Preheat your oven to 190C.
- Mix (A) together to form chocolate paste.
- Whisk egg yolks with sugar until pale and fluffy. Add milk and oil. Mix well.
- Add in (A) to the egg yolk batter. Mix well.
- Add in flour and fold gently. Do not overmix.
- In a clean bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add in sugar and beat until just before stiff peak is reached.
- Take 1/3 of the egg whites and mix into the chocolate egg yolk batter. Repeat for the next 1/3 of egg white.
- Fold in the remaining egg whites gently, careful not to deflate them.
- Carefully pour the batter into your baking sheet. Give it a few taps to remove air bubble.
- Bake for 12 - 15 minutes.
- Remove cake from tray immediately once it is out from the oven. Let it cool completely.
- Spread generous amount of durian puree on the cake. Using the parchment paper to assist, roll it up tightly. Keep the swissroll refrigerated.

I am submitting this post to Aspiring Bakers #33 (July 2013) - Tropical Spiky Month hosted by Charmaine of MiMi Bakery House.

2 comments:

Jasline @ Foodie Baker said...

I agree, durians can be very expensive here! And I think buying mao shan wang to bake is too wasteful... so I used D24 too, cheaper and equally good! :) I like the combination of chocolate and durian, your cake looks very good!

Unknown said...

Thanks Jasline!
It was very very good..gonna encore it soon after I try my hands on durian puff.