Nigella's Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake
I saw this particular chocolate cake repeated by The Little Teochew several times. I went through the recipe countless time and was kind of sceptical about putting everything in a bowl and blitz to mix and voila! Yummy chocolate cake.. Curiousity got a better of me, I bought a small tub of sour cream (as Ju mentioned, sour cream is irreplaceable, not even with yoghurt!) and I get to work on that day itself. Why wait? I needed breakfast for the boys on Monday.
The ingredients required are very very simple! Do give it a try.. the recipe uses round cake pan, but I made them into cupcakes. No compromise on the taste or texture at all. Very soft and delectable.
Nigella's Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake (makes 18 cupcakes)
(recipe sighted here)
- 200 g plain flour
- 200 g caster sugar (I reduced this to 150g)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (I use less than 1/2)
- 40 g cocoa powder (Valrhona of course)
- 150 ml/g sour cream
- 175 g unsalted butter
- 2 large eggs (65g each)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- All ingredients above must be at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180C and prepare cake tins (line and butter) or like me, prepare cupcake liners.
- Put all the above ingredients into a food processor (I was too lazy to wash my food processor - yes, I bought it but not used it before) or mixing bowl.
- Blitz everything together until well mixed.
- Divide the batter equally among the prepared tins or fill each cuppies till 1/2 full.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a thin skewer comes out clean.
Told you it was really a very simple and straight-forward recipe. Preparation time takes less than 5 minutes and I get nice soft fluffy cuppies that stay moist even after 2 days!